Some things just work! Dark chocolate and espresso usually round off a meal well so when you can combine the two into a dessert, you know you’re on to a winner. I enjoyed making these cupcakes and the bonus is that they only need around 10 minutes in the oven – so, so quick. The batter looks like a very decadent chocolate mousse…of course I didn’t lick the spoon (that’s code for: Hell yes, I licked the spoon…TWICE!!)
The dark chocolate and espresso come through very strongly in these cupcakes so if you wanted a sweeter more subtle taste or if you’re whipping up a batch for the kiddies I would recommend swapping the dark chocolate out with a milk chocolate.
4 Tbsp unsalted butter (soft)
1/3 cup of granulated sugar
150g dark chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup plain flour
1 Tbsp instant Espresso powder*
1/4 tsp salt
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 200 (degrees) C and grease a 6-cup muffin tin with butter and then dust with some granulated sugar before tapping out the excess.
- Add the chocolate chunks to a glass bowl that you can place over a pan of hot water. Stir until the chocolate is smooth. Remove and let it cool down (5 minutes is enough).
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, espresso powder and salt together.
- Add the butter and sugar to the bowl and mix together with an electric mixer (this will appear crumbly…that’s ok). Slowly add the eggs to the mix one at a time and make sure the egg is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and melted chocolate and mix together until the batter has a thick mousse-like consistency.
- Spoon the batter into your muffin tin and bake for 10-12 minutes. The cupcakes are ready when the edges are set but the centre is still gooey.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before turning them out.
- They can be enjoyed either warm or cold but most definitely with a cup of delicious espresso.
- Eat and enjoy…
*I used Black and Beyond Espresso – Dark and Intense